Foundation School Board
Terms of Reference and Members
Purpose of Board
The Board exists to oversee and set the overall strategy for the Malta Foundation School in line with national standards set by the Medical Council Malta (MCM).
- To advise on the strategic direction for the Malta Foundation School.
- To ensure that the Malta Foundation School has appropriate processes and protocols in place in order to deliver foundation training, which meet the required standards of training, education, appraisal and assessment.
- To facilitate the implementation of the Foundation Programme Malta
- To determine the resources required for the implementation of the Foundation programme and co-ordinate their most effective ultilisation
- To ensure that the proposals for training integrate well with the requirements of the health service
- To ensure the effective integration of the foundation and the specialist training programmes by facilitating the partnership between the University, the Malta Foundation School and the Post-graduate Specialty Training Programmes.
Chairperson: Dr Ray Galea (Head Postgraduate Medical Training Programme)
Secretary: Ms Marlene Gauci (Co-ordinator Post-graduate Training Centre)
Foundation School Directors: Prof Kevin Cassar Dr Tonio Piscopo
Foundation Year 2 doctor representative: Dr David Cassar
Foundation Year 1 doctor representatives: Dr Paul Cassar
Specialist Accreditation Committee representative: Prof Stephen Fava
Representative of Minister/Parliamentary Secretary: Ms Marthese Johnson
Elected representative of 5th year Medical Students: Vacant
Dean of Medical School: Prof Godfrey Laferla
Lay person: Ms Mary Scicluna
In attendance: Foundation School Manager: Ms Caroline Galea
Meetings & Procedures
- Two meetings will be held a year (January and June)
- Members unable to attend should nominate a suitable representative.